Tuesday, January 20, 2015

52 Years a Slave

In August of 1963 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. wrote a letter responding to a public newspaper article written by a group of clergymen from Birmingham Jail. The article wasn't exactly written to Dr. King, more like what he stood for. The clergymen stated that the sit-ins, marches, and so forth were "unwise & untimely". I am supposed to be stating how some of the specifics Dr. King talked about in his letter have changed. I honestly don't think ANYTHING has changed, African Americans are still experiencing hatred from policeman and/or whites.


2012, Trayvon Martin was killed by George Zimmerman in Florida because he looked "suspect"
2013, Kimani Gray was killed by WHITE police officer for no reason
2014, Michael Brown was killed by WHITE police officer in Missouri even after surrendering

Not only have these young black men been killed by whites, but so many more that go unnoticed. As African Americans watch the news everyday, we see our young black men being killed off one by one by white police officers or whites without any consequences. " Is it genocide? Cause I can still hear his mama cry now the family traumatized shots left holes in his face about piranha-sized
The old pastor closed the cold casket and said the church ain’t got enough room for all the tombs
It’s a war going on outside we ain’t safe from I feel the pain in my city wherever I go" Kanye West on Murder to Excellence. Our young black men have no place in this world, although times are not exactly the same as from 1963 they still experience hard times. If anything has changed, it's the fact that blacks are now "supposed" to be equal to whites, and that's what Martin Luther King died for.


No comments:

Post a Comment